Happy 4th of July everyone! Enjoy this crab cake alternative during your firework show tonight!
A tasty whole food alternative for vegan, dairy, gluten, and shellfish free diets during these summer months!
2 16oz cans of heart of palm
1 red pepper
1 medium onion
6 celery stalks
4tbsp olive oil
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/8 tsp celery seed
Pinch of cayenne
1. Preheat oven to 350 f. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Dice red pepper, onion, and celery into 1/4 inch cubes or smaller. Sauté diced veggies on medium low heat in a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper for 8-10 minutes.
3. Slice heart or palm against the grain into thin coins and process in a food processor until broken down.
4. Mix heart of palm, 3/4 of the sauté mix, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl until uniform.
5. Form mixture into balls and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bottoms start to turn brown.
6. For aioli-put remaining sauté mix into a blender with the same amount of oil, lemon, mustard, salt, pepper, celery seed, and cayenne as used in the cakes. Blend until uniform.
Feel free to use real crab or even chicken!